Skip to Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu
Search

About this website

This website has been setup by the Scientific Illustrator in the Geology Department, primarily for use by staff and students in the Geology Department.

Posts will be for illustration and GIS tips and tricks and announce upgrades and changes to equipment and software etc. around the department. There also pages about the services I offer for staff and students, training for staff and students and other resources.

About the Scientific Illustrator: Luke Easterbrook

Luke Easterbrook: The Geology Department’s Scientific Illustrator

I finished my MSc in geology in 2011 and have been working as the Scientific Illustrator in the Geology Department from January 2011. I’ve always been keen to use computers, software, technology to achieve things and solve problems, and it is something I find myself doing on a daily basis. I am a keen gardener and dabble in other activities such as printmaking. Look at my personal site to see what I’m up to.

Core responsibilities for the Scientific Illustrator

• Scientific illustration
    • Work with staff and students to produce illustration for publications, teaching use, etc.
    • Train and advise staff and students in the use of software and equipment for illustration etc.
  • Geographic information systems (GIS)
    • Look after the GIS software in the department.
    • Work with staff and students to produce base maps for teaching and fieldwork etc.
    • Work with staff and students to produce maps for publication or in theses etc.
    • Train and advise staff and students in the use of GIS software
  • GPS
    • Look after the GPS gear in the department
    • Train and advise staff and students on their use
  • Website
    • Maintain the geology website
  • Large format printing
    • Operate the large format (up to 1067mm wide) printers/photocopiers in our department: printing posters and maps for staff and students