Core responsibilities for the Geological Mapping Technician
- Scientific illustration
- Work with staff and students to produce illustration for publications, teaching use, etc.
- Train and advise staff and students in the use of software and equipment for illustration etc.
- Geographic information systems (GIS)
- Look after the GIS software in the department.
- Work with staff and students to produce base maps for teaching and fieldwork etc.
- Work with staff and students to produce maps for publication or in theses etc.
- Train and advise staff and students in the use of GIS software
- Look after the GPS gear in the department
- Train and advise staff and students on their use
- Liase with Web Services to keep the Geology website up to date
- Large format printing
- Operate the large format (up to 1067mm wide) printers – posters and maps for staff and students
Contact person for this website / blog is Stephen Read, Geological Mapping Technician. firstname.lastname@example.org
If there is a need, and time permits, this site will be updated so please let me know if you have come here looking for useful information.
Posts will be for illustration and GIS tips and tricks and announce upgrades and changes to equipment and software etc. around the department. There also pages about the services I offer for staff and students, training for staff and students and other resources.