Have you been holding out for a more functional calendar for your blog or podcast site? Good news, we have just released a new plugin called the All-In-One-Event Calendar. This plugin has all sorts of bells and whistles including:
- Month, week and agenda views
- Upcoming events widget
- Colour-coded categories
- Recurring events
- Import and Export of .ics feeds (iCal feeds)
If you want to find out more, try turning the plugin on and having an explore, or peruse the Otago Blogs Helpsite.
Does the blogs or podcast system look newer to you? Over the Easter break this year we upgraded the software behind Blogs and Podcasts (WordPress) to the latest version. A few changes you may notice are:
- Feature Pointer – there are now popup boxes explaining any changes that may have happened since the upgrade. You can easily dismiss these messages.
- Consolidated Admin Bar – the dark grey admin bar at the top of you screen has been made simpler. Now there is one easy place to go to if you want to add new: users; posts; podcasts; pages; and the list continues. You can also use the My Sites section to swap between all your sites
- Drag and Drop Uploader – sick of clicking Select Files to upload a new media item? Now you can drag and drop the files into the browser.
- Random Header Images – can’t decide which image you’d like to use for your site’s header? Now you can have a random image from the collection show up each time you reload a page. You can find this option in the Header section within the Appearance menu.
Over the last few weeks we have been working on new themes which gives you more power and functionality on your blog or podcast site. The themes come with a couple of new features, like personalised banner images, 4 layouts, improved menu creation and a new look for quotes.
Sick of picking between the default banner images? Now you can upload your own banner image to suit your site. You can do this in the new Header section under the Appearance menu. If you don’t like your new banner, you can always change back to one of the default ones, or get rid of the images altogether.
In the past to change the layout of your site from 2 columns to 3, or 3 to 2 you had to select a whole new theme. Now you can change from within the Otago theme. Layouts can be changed from the Theme Options section of the Appearance menu. Here you can also change the content of your footer bar.
If you haven’t got the new theme on your site yet, you can turn it on in the Themes section of the Appearance menu. You will notice that the old themes are no longer available – but don’t worry, you can still find the default banner images in the new theme. If you already have a personalised banner already make sure you have a copy of it before you change themes.