Skip to Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu
Search

Audacity – what is it?

I recently attended an ITS training course to learn about Audacity, and how to prepare podcasts. Audacity is a free digital audio editing application, which runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. Here are some of the ways I can prepare my podcasts in Audacity:

Opening a recorded lecture in Audacity

Opening a recorded lecture in Audacity

Importing various audio file types (WAV, AIFF, MP3, Ogg Vorbis) is easy. Once a file is imported you are able to see the sound waves and start editing. Below I have imported an MP3 recording of a lecture.

A recorded lecture in its raw form

A recorded lecture in its raw form

Now that I have my lecture imported, I have decided to add some backing music to make the content more palatable. This is as easy as adding a new track and importing another audio file. This doesn’t have to be used only for backing music – you might have an introduction file that you put on every podcast you create.

Two tracks in Audacity - recorded lecture and music clip

Once I had my backing track in place, I realised that it was much louder than the lecture track. To fix this I could have turned the volume of the individual track down, but instead I used the equalisation tool. This equalises the volume of all the tracks.

Tracks equalised in Audactiy

Tracks equalised in Audactiy

As with most live lectures this lecture has a few annoying coughs in the background. These are remarkably easy to remove if you can pin them down. The image below shows once such cough, before and after silencing.

A cough highlighted in a recorded lecture

A silenced cough in Audacity

A silenced cough in Audacity

This is a taste of what I learned during the course. If you want to be able to edit your podcasts, I recommend you attend the ITS Audacity training course.