Dr Sebastian Filep is developing a humanist platform of research focusing on investigations of well-being, happiness and flourishing in tourism, primarily drawing from the field of positive psychology. Filep is a co-author of Tourists, Tourism and the Good Life (Routledge, 2011), the lead editor of Tourist Experience and Fulfilment: Insights from Positive Psychology (Routledge, 2013) and the lead editor of Positive Tourism (Routledge, 2016). He is an Associate Editor of Leisure Sciences, a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management (JHTM) and a member of the Editorial Review Board of Tourism Review. He regularly serves as a reviewer for major tourism, leisure and hospitality journals.
Selected Papers of interest:
- Filep, S., Macnaughton, J. and Glover, T. (2017). Tourism and gratitude: Valuing acts of kindness. Annals of Tourism Research, 66: 26-36.
- Filep, S. (2016). Tourism and positive psychology critique: Too emotional? Annals of Tourism Research, 59:113-115.
- Nawijn, J. and Filep, S. (2016). Two directions for future tourist well-being research. Annals of Tourism Research, 61: 221-223.
- Glover, T. D. and Filep, S. (2015). On kindness of strangers in tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 50: 159-162.
- Matteucci, X. and Filep, S. (2015). Eudaimonic tourist experiences: the case of flamenco. Leisure Studies. DOI:10.1080/02614367.2015.1085590.
- Filep, S. (2014). Moving beyond subjective well-being: A tourism critique. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 38(2), 266-274.
- Filep, S. and Deery, M. (2010). Towards a Picture of Tourists’ Happiness. Tourism Analysis, 15(4): 399-410.