Skip to Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu
Search

Dr Paul G. Plieger

BSc (Hons), PhD, 1999

Current Job Title: Lecturer of Chemistry , Institute of Fundamental Sciences PN 461, Massey University, New Zealand
Previous Job Titles: Laboratory Directed Research and Development Postdoctoral Fellow (2003- 2004), Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, USA; Engineering and Physical Science Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, The University of Edinburgh, Scotland (2001-3); Foundation for Research Science and Technology Postdoctoral Fellow, Massey University, New Zealand (1999-2001)
PhD: with Dr Sally Brooker, University of Otago, New Zealand (1995-8)

Dr Plieger

Otago University as a whole has an excellent reputation as a producer of talented and able graduates both domestically and on an international scale. The Chemistry Department at Otago is no exception.

My current position as a Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) program postdoctoral fellow is directly related to the chemistry training that I began at Otago in 1991. Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, USA (where I am currently placed) is a great place to work. The laboratory is extensively funded and is at the cutting edge in many research areas. It also has an awesome climate (skiing only 20 minutes away in winter) and the summers seem endless. Previous to my position here I worked at Edinburgh University in Scotland as an Engineering and Physical Science Research Council (EPSRC) Postdoctoral Fellow. Chemistry in the United Kingdom is very healthy and as a chemist there are many positions available in both industry and academia.

The quality of the research and internationally recognised publications resulting from my doctoral studies with Dr Sally Brooker have helped me to travel the world and also to prove that when you do a chemistry degree at Otago, there are no geographical barriers to your chemistry career.

Contact details:
Dr. Paul Plieger [p.g.plieger@massey.ac.nz]
http://ifs.massey.ac.nz/staff/plieger.shtml
Lecturer of Chemistry
Institute of Fundamental Sciences PN 461
Massey University
Private Bag 11 222
Palmerston North
Tel: 64 6 356 9099 ext: 7825
Fax: 64 6 350 5682