Skip to Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu
Search

Dr Humphrey Feltham

Current position: Research Chemist at Ligar, Hamilton (2019-present)

Previous position:  Research Fellow at the Dept. of Chemistry, University of Otago (2015-2019); Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Dept. of Chemistry, University of Otago (2012-2015)

PhD: University of Otago, with Professor Sally Brooker (2009-2012)

MSc: University of Otago, with Professor Sally Brooker (2007-2008)

I started working for Sally in 2007 as the first ever MSc student in the ‘Brooker Bunch’. I had originally intended to do a PGDipSci but was encouraged by the Department to enrol for a two-year MSc. At the end of my MSc, I wasn’t totally sure what I wanted to do, but I applied for a PhD scholarship to keep the possibility of further study open. Luckily, I was awarded a scholarship and so continued on to study for a PhD with Sally.

In the final year of my PhD, Sally discussed with me the possibility of applying for a Post-Doctoral grant via the MacDiarmid Institute, which would provide me with two years of research funding. We were awarded the grant and I happily stayed in Sally’s group, supervised by her, in a Post-Doctoral capacity. I worked with Sally on two further grants supervised by her (one Marsden grant and a second MacDiarmid grant), being promoted to Research Fellow and taking on a significant training and mentorship role to students within the group. Near the end of 2018, I was offered a role at Ligar – a start-up company in Hamilton – and so my time with Sally came to an end.

My research was generally focused on magnetism, either Spin Cross-Over or Single-Molecule Magnetism. I learnt a number of different organic and inorganic synthesis techniques, as well as how to use numerous different instruments. Additionally, I learnt a number of transferable skills such as public speaking, how to put together a presentation, how to write well and how to critically analyse literature.

Having lived in or visited most of New Zealand, I can honestly say that Dunedin is an extremely liveable city. It is easy to get around, accommodation is affordable, there is a wide range of things to do outside of the university, and it is within driving distance from the beautiful Central Otago.

I very much enjoyed my time working for Sally and learnt skills well beyond the lab bench. Sally is very good at encouraging students to pursue their particular interests. In the Brooker Bunch, students are guided towards their specific interests in chemistry, whether that be inorganic, organic or physical. Sally also facilitates exposure to a wide range of different branches of chemistry through external collaboration with other academics. A lot of students I worked with in the Brooker Bunch really discovered their passion within chemistry during their time with Sally. She is adept at tailoring her approach to individual students; those who flourish from independence will be allowed as much as is practical, whereas those that require a more hands-on approach will receive more direct guidance. I found Sally to provide support well beyond the realms of lab work as well. She cares about the emotional well-being of her students as much as their academic progress.

I remember my time with Sally with fondness, and am grateful for the opportunities and skills it provided. I would more than recommend working with Sally to anyone considering it – you won’t regret it!