Dunedin Timebank featured in the Otago Daily Times!

Posted on by

Kia ora (hello),

Well, it’s been a very long time since I have updated this blog, but I have some news to add and I guess it’s never too late to start updating this blog again, albeit on an irregular basis.

Although all of my research interviews have been conducted in the North Island, I have had the opportunity for on-going participant observation in the world of time banking through my role as co-founder of the Dunedin Timebank. This has been a fascinating source of experiences and insight into how a timebank works (or at least, how one timebank in one particular location works). And although my experience is specific to this one community, all of my time spent on the committee has helped me to better understand the joys and frustrations expressed by the people that I have interviewed in the North Island timebanks.

We recently hit a major milestone in our development, as we have hired a part-time (14 hours per week) Project Coordinator. This position has been filled by the very capable Liz Carroll Lowe, who brings many years of relevant experience and a whole range of fantastic skills to share with the Dunedin Timebank! We feel very lucky that she has chosen to work with us. You can read more about this great step in the development of the Dunedin Timebank in this article recently published by our local newspaper, the Otago Daily Times:

Timebanking for ‘better community’

In the picture alongside the newspaper article, you can see Liz our new coordinator in the foreground, and myself (Emma McGuirk) and Ralph Lawrence in the background discussing the next steps for fixing the bike.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by EMMA MCGUIRK. Bookmark the permalink.

One thought on “Dunedin Timebank featured in the Otago Daily Times!

1. Hi – dont know if you will receive this comment after such a long time and who knows where you are in the world in 2016! I wanted you to know i appreciate the work and commentary you have posted. I am in the process of starting up a timebank in Palmerston North and all of what you have is useful. I guess looking over different NZ based activity my growing question is sustainability? I know some thriving TB and others that have closed down after a enthusiastic beginning. of course im hoping to begin this one in a way that sets it up best i can for long term growth.