- Anna Garden – Group leader
Anna completed her B.Sc.(Hons) in Chemistry at the University of Otago in 2005 and her Ph.D. also from the University of Otago in 2011, under the supervision of Prof. Henrik G. Kjaergaard (now at the University of Copenhagen). She then moved to Iceland for a 2.5 year postdoctoral research fellowship with Assoc. Prof. Egill Skúlason and Prof. Hannes Jónsson. She then moved back to Dunedin to take up her current position as a lecturer in Chemistry in 2015.
- Sam McIntyre – PhD student
- Sam completed her B.Sc. in Chemistry and Genetics at the University of Otago in 2019. During her degree, she spent a semester abroad at the University of Edinburgh. Sam first joined the Garden Group as a summer student (2018) and then returned to complete her M.Sc. with a unique astrochemistry project co-supervised by Dr Courtney Ennis. At the conclusion of this, she worked in the department as a teaching fellow before returning to the group for her PhD at the end of 2022. Her main research topic is nitrate reduction, where she investigates potential catalysts and their structures with the goal of selectively forming nitrogen. Sam has also been actively involved with Chemistry Outreach since the start of 2016 where she has enjoyed engaging with a range of students across the country. She has also had the privilege to travel to Taiwan (2018) and Malaysia (2018 and 2019) taking science into rural communities, experiencing different cultures and meeting many incredible people.
- Nicholas Smith – summer student
- Nicholas has completed his third year of a B. Sc majoring Chemistry and minoring in Computer Science. He has joined the Garden group for as a summer student; he will work with Frankie Mackenzie to extend Geoffrey Weal’s work in using a genetic algorithm as a global optimisation technique to determine the structure of metallic nanoparticles.
- Elouan Hay-Fourmond – PhD student
- Elouan has completed a B. Sc majoring in Chemistry and minoring in Genetic. He joined the Garden group in 2022 as an Honours student extending Geoffrey Weal’s working on the Garden Group Genetic Algorithm. He remained within the group and started his PhD in 2023 to implement machine learning in nanoparticle global optimisation.
Dr Tom GIlmour – consultant at Ernst and Young
Ph. D. students
Dr Caitlin Casey-Stevens – independent postdoc MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology
Dr Charlie Ruffman – postdoc at University of Auckland
Dr Geoffrey Weal – postdoc at Kyoto University
M. Sc. students
John Whiting – Employed at NeSI
Lily Clague – Zincovery
Dr Stephanie Lambie – postdoc at Max Planck Institute for solid state research, Stuttgart, Germany
B. Sc. (Hons) Students
Dr Calum Gordon – postdoc at Victoria University Wellington
Frank MacKenzie – Ph.D. student at VUW
Dr Mingrui (Ray) Yang – postdoc at Washington University in St Louis, USA.
Dr Charlie Ruffman
Dr Caitlin Casey-Stevens
B. Sc. Students
Dr Calum Gordon
Dr Mingrui (Ray) Yang
Dr Caitlin Casey-Stevens