Skip to Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu
Search

Student profile – Toản Nguyễn

Introducing Toản Nguyễn, a PhD student in Te Tumu, School of Māori, Pacific and Indigenous Studies.

Xin Chào Các Bạn / Hello friends,

My name is Toản. I am from Hanoi city, the capital of Vietnam. Hanoi is a beautiful and peaceful place. In 1999, it was granted the “City for Peace” title by UNESCO.

Last year (2019), I left my home country to come to Dunedin city to embark on a new journey and life: Doing my PhD research project at the University of Otago/Te Tumu School. Working in Vietnam over 15 years as a development practitioner, I have implemented several various projects that aim to support local communities, particularly vulnerable groups to well adapting to and timely coping with climate change and climatic associated disasters. From the work as well as interacting with local people, I understood that local people’s adaptation to climate change seems to be ineffective. There could be some causes resulting in those outcomes. My research is built on this rationale, and it primarily explores the key factors that have been adversely affecting to the adaptation work of local people across regions of Vietnam.

My research project is an empirical work, using the qualitative case-study approach. I have chosen four cases studies in the coastal regions of Vietnam to gather data. It is hoped that lessons learned from the case studies will be meaningful for local/national policy development processes in Vietnam.

And after one year doing my project, I see that PhD is a great chance to learn new things. I have gained new knowledge of climate change and academic research skills as well as having more friends. Also, I understand that completing the PhD is not an easy task! But I think if I maintain my faith, it will be fine 😊.

Chúc các bạn sức khỏe và hoàn thành xuất sắc PhD của mình / Wishing you good health, happiness and success in your PhD!