Skip to Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu
Search

Manuka in the community

In 2017 we received funding from Unlocking Curious Minds to fund the development of a citizen science project around the chemo-typing of manuka around Aotearoa New Zealand. School pupils got to collect samples and run a simple test to assess how effective an extract of their plants was as a herbicide.

Dave Warren with pupils from Musselburgh school talking about their findings

This news article about the project appeared on National TV in May 2018.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/scientists-teaming-up-kids-unlock-secrets-manuka-tree

2 thoughts on “Manuka in the community

1. Hi,

I have just stumbled across your research and am wondering if this project is still going (I am a teacher at Freyberg High School in Palmerston North), and are looking for ways to bring Maori scientific knowledge to my Y9 and Y10 students.

Or even if your research is finished, are you able to share an update for my students?

Kind Regards
    Karyn

Reply

• Hi Karyn
      We could get some kits and instructions to send out to you for next term if you’d like? or even just a couple for you to try out. You’d need to be able to access some manuka locally and you’ll need some acetone which I assume you will have in school (about 20 mL per sample)
      Cheers
      Dave

Reply