Getting Started and
Further Information about Zoom
This is a simple guide to get started with Zoom. Follow all the steps or jump to where you are in the process.
Sign In to Zoom
- Open any web browser and go to https://otago.zoom.us/signin
- Enter your University username in the format requested and password.
- Note: All Staff accounts must only be prefixed by registry\ e.g. registry\blojo55p All Student accounts must only be prefixed by student\ e.g. student\blojo456
- Click Sign In.
Update your Profile:
- Click ‘My Profile’.
- Change the ‘Default Call in Country’ to New Zealand.
- (Optional) Upload a Profile photo by clicking ‘Change’. Click “Upload’ to upload the new photo and click ‘Save’.
- (Optional) Add a Personal Vanity URL. Your personal vanity URL is an alias name of your personal meeting URL (e.g., https://zoom.us/my/vanity_url). It must be 5 to 40 characters. It must start with a letter and can contain only letters (a-z), numbers (0-9) and periods (“.”)
- (Optional) Change your personal meeting ID, we suggest using your work phone number, but there must be 10 characters i.e. 6434798XXX
Install and Sign into the Zoom App
- Click on the ‘HOST A MEETING’ menu (top right).
- Click ‘With video On’
- Follow the on-screen prompts to download and open the ‘Zoom Launcher’.
- Click ‘Join Audio by Computer’ in the pop-up window.
- You should now be in your first meeting.
Note: Alternatively, you can install the App here https://otago.zoom.us/download#client_4meeting Choose ‘Zoom Client for Meetings’ Download and install manually. Then return to the first stage of this guide, or visit here to see how to login/run Zoom directly from a short-cut on your computer.
You should now end the meeting you are in by selecting ‘End Meeting’ (bottom right) of the menu bar, hover your cursor over the Zoom Window if the menu bar is not visible.
Please now take time to check your Audio and Video configuration the ‘Settings’ icon on the Home Screen.
You should see the Home Screen below. If not have a look in the Taskbar or Dock for the Zoom icon.
Settings: Audio Options
The Audio settings allow you to test your computer speakers and microphone. This also includes all microphones connected to the computer through a USB port.
- Click the down arrow to select the computer speakers you want to use from the drop-down menu.
- Test Speaker: Click the Test Speaker button to hear the piano sound. Use the sound bar to adjust the volume.
- Click the down arrow to select the computer microphone that you want to use from the drop-down menu.
- Test Mic: Click the Test Mic button to test a microphone on or connected to your computer. Use the sound bar to adjust the volume. This button is not on the Mac.
- Check to Automatically join audio by computer when joining a meeting. This will use your computer’s speakers and microphone for the meeting.
Settings: Video Options
The Video settings allow you to make the following settings for video:
- Select your Webcam for Zoom video meeting.
- We recommend you leave the following default options:
Check to Enable mirror effect for my video.
Check to Always show name on video window.
Check to Always turn off video when joining meeting.
Check to Hide Non-video participants.
Check to Capture 720p by default.
- For further and more detailed reading on the Zoom and its features, please visit the Zoom Support Center.
- For further information in the form of Video, please visit the Zoom Youtube channel