The University of Otago offers several methods to connect to the WiFi. Whether you are a new student, a staff member or just visiting the University, you can connect following the appropriate instructions.
As a University of Otago Student you have access to WiFi at these locations. Use UO_WIFI.
Apple Laptop Video Instructions
Apple Laptop Image Instructions
- Click on the WiFi icon at the top right hand corner of your computer
- Select either UO_WIFI or UO-STUDENT
- Enter your student username and password (if you do not know what your username is click here for instructions on finding out essential information)
- Verify the network certificate by clicking on "Continue"
- If it is your first time connecting to that network it will then prompt you for your computer's username and password
- Check that you are connected to the network
Windows Laptop Video Instructions
Student with a Windows Laptop
Android Phone Video Instructions
Android Phone Image Instructions
Keep in mind that different Android devices may have different interfaces. The device we used in the videos and images is a Samsung phone running Android 5.0 (Lollipop). Do not panic if your device does not look the same as the one used for the video or images, follow the overall concept of the steps and you should get the same result.
- Go to your phone's "Settings"
- Make sure that your Wi-Fi is turned on and go into the "Wi-Fi" settings
- Select the network you want to connect to (UO_WIFI or UO-STUDENT). We will use UO-STUDENT as an example here but you can connect to UO_WIFI using the same instructions.
- If it is your first time connecting to the University Wi-Fi network you will be prompted for some details. Make sure that the following details are correct:
- EAP Method: PEAP
- Phase 2 authentication: MSCHAPV2
- CA certificate: Unspecified, None or No Certificate
- Identity: Your University of Otago username
- Enter Password: Your University of Otago password
- Hit the "Connect" button and make sure that you are connected to the Wi-Fi
Apple Cellphone Video Instructions
Apple Cellphone Image Instructions
- Go to your settings menu
- Click on the "Wi-Fi" option
- Select either UO_WIFI or UO-STUDENT
- Type in your student username and password
- If it is your first time connecting to these networks it will ask you to trust a certificate. Click on Trust at the top right hand corner.
- Verify that you are connected to the internet.
For Staff Members
As a staff member in the University of Otago you can connect to two different networks, UO_WIFI or UO-STAFF.
To connect to UO_WIFI follow the appropriate instructions listed under the “For Student” section. Use your Staff username and password instead of a student username and password.
To connect to UO-STAFF, follow the instructions in this ITS Staff On-Campus Network Access website.
Student from another University / Tertiary Institute
If you are a visiting student from a university that is in the Eduroam program, you can connect to the Eduroam network accessible throughout the University of Otago campus.
Each University uses a different set of credentials to connect to Eduroam, therefore you will need to find out what your home University uses to login to Eduroam. A Google search with the keywords “Eduroam” and the name of your home university should do the trick, but if it doesn’t then you will have to contact your home University IT support or come and see Student IT located at the Central Library of the University of Otago.
Read the University of Otago ITS Eduroam webpage for how to set up the Eduroam network at the University of Otago.
If you are a visitor to the University you can use the UO_Guest network – see the Visitor Network Access page on the main ITS website for instructions.
Note: if you are a staff or student from another University, you may also be able to use the Eduroam network – see the Eduroam section above for more information.