Students of the University of Otago are entitled to five Microsoft Office 365 licences for their personal devices. This means you can download and install Office on your own computer free of charge while you are studying.
The table gives a summary of the main Office programs available on each type of device. See below for more information and how to download and install.
|Windows||Mac OSX||Tablets and Phones|
|OneNote||Yes||OSX 10.10 and above*||Yes|
Note: other applications such as Skype, Lync, Delve, etc are also available in some packages.
*Go to the Microsoft OneNote download site or search the Mac App Store to get OneNote for earlier versions of Mac OSX.
- Log in to your StudentMail at otago.ac.nz/studentmail
- Ensure that your browser window is expanded or in full screen mode or the Office 365 button will not be visible!
- Click on the grid icon on the top left of the screen then select Install Office
- Follow the prompts to save and install the software
- Activate your Office 365 by signing in with your student email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and password
- You can install Office Apps on your Apple or Android phone or tablet
- Windows devices come with Office already installed
- If you have a version of Android prior to 4.4, please see the next section
Method 1: Search the storeGo to the appropriate app store for your device and search for Office 365. Choose the apps you want from the list of search results.
- iPad/iPhone - Mac App Store
- Android - Google Play Store
Method 2: Get links emailed to you
- Login to your StudentMail at otago.ac.nz/studentmail on any computer or device
- Click on Office 365, in the top right-hand corner
- Click Other Installations
- Click Phone & Tablet
- Choose your device type and click Get App
- Choose either Send Email or Send SMS and fill in your email address or phone number to have the link sent to you
- Go to the Play Store on your device and search for Office Mobile
- Download the app
- Use your student email and password to sign-in to the app