If you’re a new student here at Otago, we understand that you might have questions about how all things IT work – luckily we’ve put together this awesome collection of information to help you settle in and hit the ground running!
- Connecting To WiFi
- Where Can I Access WiFi
- Connecting To The Guest Network
- What Network Am I Connected To
- Rules and Policy
Student Accounts and Resources
StudentMail is the most important communication line from the University to you. It is important that you check it often.
- Introduction To Printing
- Using The Printers
- Topping Up and Printing Costs
- Print From The Student Desktop
- Print From Your Laptop
The Student Desktop
The Student Desktop gives you access to a range of general and course specific software, and provides a consistent study environment where your files are always available to you. The Student Desktop is available to all students, both in the student computing labs and running on your own computer anytime and anywhere via the internet.
- Using Student Desktop Computers on Campus
- Computer Labs on Campus
- Using the Student Desktop On Your Own Device
Office 365 (Word Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook etc) is free to students and staff at the University of Otago.
- Office 365
- Install Office 365 on your laptop
- Install Office 365 on your tablet or phone
- Office 365 Online
The University of Otago strongly recommend the use of Anti Virus software. Sophos is the best one that we have found and it installed on all university owned computers. You can download if free from www.sophos/home
Course Related Software
There are three types of software available to you on the student desktop
- Software which is available to all students by default. Click here for a list.
- Software which is available to you because you are doing a course that requires it. Your lecturer will inform you of any software that you will be using at the start of semester. This software will be located in: Start Menu > All Programs > Course Specific Resources
- Software which is freely available to students on request. Click here for a list of available software, and information on how to request it.