The following rules apply to all students using the Student IT environment. This includes all University of Otago systems, equipment, student networks and internet access.
The following also apply to students using the computers, network, email and other services provided by the University of Otago:
When using any University of Otago computing resource:
- Do not download excessively. In doing so, you are reducing network performance for everyone else. Network usage of over 30GB per month may be reported to ITS management.
- Do not download or circulate objectionable material. You could risk suspension of your IT privileges.
- Do not share your username or password. If you feel your password has been compromised, contact Student IT immediately!
When using Student IT computer areas:
- Notify Student IT if you see a problem with any of the computer areas (see our contact details on this site).
- Be considerate; Student IT areas are for course-related work. In a busy lab, don’t occupy a seat for social networking – keep it course-related.
- Do not eat or drink in Student IT computer areas.
When using the Student Desktop:
- Some sites are blocked between 8:30am to 12 noon and 2pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday. These include:
- Auction sites
- Dating sites
- Gambling sites
- Game sites