Feedback posts

Posted on by

We appreciate your feedback and help in making this Geographic classification make sense for those working in rural and urban environments.

Thank you.

Please feed back below or contact Michelle Smith, Research Nurse for the the Rural Urban Classification project.

This entry was posted in Feedback by Michelle Smith. Bookmark the permalink.

About Michelle Smith

Research Nurse for the Rural Urban for NZ health research and policy project. Associate Charge Nurse at Dunstan Hospital, Clyde.

2 thoughts on “Feedback posts

1. Thanks for the opportunity to comment. I received this link through the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine Rural Regional and Remote Committee.

No rurality classification suits all purposes. Even in health, we need different approaches for cardiac care, general practice, emergency care, etc..

Having said that, I find the mathematical approach of the Accessibility/Remoteness Index of Australia (ARIA) is a good base. Instead of distance to towns of different sizes, the same model has been used with distance to varying levels of cardiac care in the Cardiac ARIA. It is not difficult to imagine a trauma ARIA or stroke ARIA with distance to paramedic bases, CT scanners, and specialist centres. It can be combined with population size in the Modified Monash Model to be useful for general practice workforce modelling. (There does seem a move to use MMM for all health. However, I find it makes it difficult to separate the effects of remoteness and hospital size for emergency departments. I prefer to stick with a basic ARIA based classification and assess hospital peer group within those groups).

I can imagine that you know most of this. As a clinician, my understanding of remoteness classifications are nowhere near that of the statisticians that I work with, but I hope it is helpful in some way.

I am also unable to say if having a remoteness classification improves outcomes (I am not even sure how to research that question). It does help check that we are comparing apples and apples though.