Skip to Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu
Search

Student FAQ

Please explore the frequently asked questions listed below for answers to your questions.  This information will constantly be updated in response to your queries.  If your question is not covered below or in the other areas of this site, please contact AskOtago.

Q.01 How can I get help with studying remotely?

Q.02 What should I do if I am stressed, having mental health difficulties or would like other pastoral support?

Q.03 Are we having digital exams and assessments in semester 2 and what are they?

Q.04 Who creates the content for ExamSoft / Examplify assessments and exams?

Q.05 What software is being used for the exams and why?

Q.06 What laptop/desktop computer and Internet connectivity do I need and where can I get help with those?

Q.07 What could my digital exams ‘look’ like – what can digital exams include?

Q.08 When and how do I download ExamSoft’s app Examplify?

Q.09 How do I check/set the permissions on my camera and microphone before granting access to them to verify my identity and for invigilation (supervision) ?

Q.10 Can I practise using the software before my exam, and how? (This is mandatory)

Q.11 How will my privacy be protected after I download the software?

Q.12 How secure will my assessment/exam be?

Q.13 How will my ExamSoft / Examplify assessment/exam be invigilated (supervised) and my identity verified?

Q.14 What happens if invigilation (supervision) detects a potential issue?

Q.15 Where will I sit my digital exams and what does that space need to be like?

Q.16 What will I do immediately before my assessment/exam and on the day?

Q.17 What if I cannot sit my assessment/exam at the scheduled time or have other unexpected problems?

Q.18 What if I have a disability and need alternative arrangements?

Q.19 What if I am in a different time zone to New Zealand?

Q.20 When can I see my assessment/exam results?

Q.21 Where will I find my assessment/exam results?

Q.22  How will the Examplify app know my name and what assessment/exams I am sitting?

Q.23  What should I do to prepare for my assessment/exam as the date gets closer?

Q.24  How do I download a real assessment/exam with the app Examplify?

Q.25 How do I prepare just before a real assessment/exam with Examplify and then sit the exam?

Q.26 How do I uninstall Examplify after my assessment/exam if I want to? (You do not have to. This is only if you want to).

Question. 01. How can I get help with studying remotely?

Answer. We have gathered up some tips and put them all in one place for you. They are here.(link to training materials)

Q.02. What should I do if I am stressed, having mental difficulties or would like other pastoral support?

A. Our University provides a range of help, including:

Also, free counselling is available for all New Zealanders by calling or texting 1737.

Q.03. Are we having digital exams and assessments in semester 2 and what are they?

A.
*** Note: the University of Otago in consultation with the Otago University Students Association  has decided that all final exams and assessments held in semester 2 will be delivered online where possible.***(Announcement 2 Sep 2021)

Students enrolled in the following papers will use ExamSoft’s application Examplify to sit semester 2 assessments and final examinations.

BIOC192, HUBS192, POPH192

Students enrolled in the following papers will use ExamSoft’s application Examplify to sit semester 2 final examinations.

ACCT222, ACCT307, ACCT310, ACTP312, ACTP412, BLAW212, LAWS101

Because the COVID-19 pandemic closed our campuses in semester 1 2020, our University introduced alternative ways to sit assessments and final exams, which would usually have been sat on campus. Those alternatives included digital exams, which are:

• Typed on a laptop or desktop computer rather than written by hand
  • Sat remotely (off campus)
  • Invigilated (supervised) remotely.

Making this change helped fulfil our commitment to teaching – which includes assessing learning. Now, our preparations for your assessments and final examinations must include the possibility we could move to higher Covid-19 alert levels, so you would suffer as little disruption as possible, and both you and future students can flow seamlessly through your years of study.

You will receive finalised information about the exact dates and times of your assessments in the same way as usual, and exact dates and times for your exams in the timetable section of your eVision portal as usual. The exams will take the normal length of time, unless otherwise specified, i.e. a three-hour exam will still be a three-hour exam.

A. Our usual University academics who teach you create the content for all assessments and final semester exams, based on work you have done during that semester.

Q.05 What are ExamSoft and its app Examplify?

A. Staff use the ExamSoft cloud-based application for creating and delivering assessments and exams. Students sit assessments and exams using the app Examplify – you (Otago students) do not have to pay for the app. ExamSoft has been in business for more than 22 years and has over 1400 clients worldwide, including all the Ivy League medical schools – e.g. those at Harvard and Yale universities.

Our University used ExamSoft and Examplify for competitive entry and accreditation final exams in semester 1 2020 when the COVID-19 pandemic closed our campuses. In semester 2 2020 students studying online due to the COVID-19 pandemic used Examsoft’s app Examplify  for their assessments and final exams.

We had already trialled ExamSoft and Examplify in 2018 so had experience with the software and app, which were chosen in 2018 for reasons that still apply now, including:

• More than 90 per cent of ExamSoft’s clients use it to complement their Learning Management Systems – mostly Blackboard – because ExamSoft is specifically designed for mid-to-high stakes assessments
  • Assessments and exams are sat off-line – downloaded, completed offline, then uploaded – which eliminates the major risks of:
    • Internet connection problems during an assessment/exam
    • Hacking
    • You accidentally exiting the assessment/exam.
  • A photo is taken of you before you do your assessment/exam – during a mandatory no-stakes Preparation Exam that lets you practise using the software – and during your assessment/real exam to verify your identity. You can be remotely invigilated (supervised) while doing your assessment/exam – via your web camera and microphone
  • Your access to the Internet along with your access to files and apps on your computer, is blocked while you are doing your assessment/exam.

Note: ExamSoft and Examplify often call invigilation (supervision) proctoring or refer to ‘the proctor’ rather than the invigilator.

Q.06 What laptop/desktop computer and Internet connectivity do I need and where can I get help with those

A.

Examplify can be used on most modern computers – bought in the last three to four years.  You can use Mac and Windows (including Surface Pro). You cannot use Chromebook, Android, or Linux operating systems. Your device must also meet minimum specification requirements (if you do not know how to find your device’s specifications, go tQ.06(b).

The minimum specifications Examplify requires for Windows and Mac can be found here

https://examsoft.com/resources/examplify-minimum-system-requirements

Please check your devices specifications thoroughly.

Your assessments/exams will also be administered with ExamID and ExamMonitor so the following requirements apply as well:

• Examplify version 2.5 or greater
  • Hard drive: 4GB or higher available space
  • RAM: 8GB or higher recommended; 4GB required
  • Webcam: Integrated camera or external USB camera supported by your operating system. Virtual cameras are not supported.
  • Microphone (no headphones, headsets, earbuds, no virtual mics)
  • Internet: 2.5 Mpbs upload speed

Please note: You cannot use any virtual camera or audio software with ExamID or ExamMonitor.

If you are not sure if your laptop/desktop computer meets the requirements, you should contact AskOtago. It is available seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time:

Q.06(b) How do I find my device’s specifications on Windows or Mac?

A. Windows 10 

1. On the bottom left of your screen, next to the Windows button, in the Search window, type System
  2. Device specifications/System Information will be listed

Windows OS screenshot

Mac

1. In the top left corner of the screen, click on the Apple logo.
  2. In the dropdown menu that appears, click About This Mac.
  3. A new window will appear. It should open to the Overview tab by default, but if it does not, click Overview at the top of the window. On this page, you will see what macOS version your computer is running, right down to the build number (something like 10.14.6).

A. They can include:

• Essays (a limit will be set on the number of characters/letters you can use, but not in a way that will restrict your ability to answer the question)
  • Short-answer questions (a limit will be set on the number of characters/letters you can use, but not in a way that would restrict your ability to answer the question)
  • Multi-choice questions
  • True/false questions
  • Fill-in-the-blank questions
  • Hotspots (visual true/false question, where you get credit for dropping a ‘pin’ on the correct part of an image).

You will be able to:

• Write notes in a digital ‘space’ on your laptop/desktop computer
  • Increase the size of text on your screen
  • Highlight words in questions, except for longer questions that may be in a pdf e.g. business case studies
  • Go both forwards and backwards through your exam
  • Use a scientific calculator or graphing calculator if it has been enabled for your assessment/exam.  Follow these links to get a feel for these calculator tools:
  • Check the character count of your answers – questions can set limits on characters only (not words)
  • Set the clock on the top right of your screen to show a visual – no sound – alarm during your assessment/exam
  • Use spell-check (for essay-type questions, not fill-in-the blank-type questions)
  • Copy and paste
  • Flag questions to return to them later in the assessment/exam.

You will also automatically receive a:

• Visual alarm – no sound – five minutes before the end of your assessment/exam
  • Reminder about any questions you have not answered at the end of your assessment/exam
  • Time-limit on your assessment/exam – but if you have a disability that allows you extra time to sit assessments/exams, you will have that time.

A. You should download the latest version of the Examplify app as soon as possible – there is no charge for downloading the app.

1. To prepare:
    • Make sure you are downloading the app to the laptop/desktop computer you will be using for your final exam/s
    • Check your laptop/desktop computer has all operating system updates applied
  2. Here is a step-by-step guide to downloading the Examplify application

Note: If you cannot find the email from noreply@examsoft.com inviting you to ExamSoft, please follow this link to download Examplify: https://ui.examsoft.io/login?institutioncode=otago

After installing Examplify, you can do your first preparation exam. The Computer Compatibility Preparation Exam should be available to download in your Examplify Dashboard (Home Page). See Q.10.

Q.9 How do I check/set the permissions on my camera and microphone before granting access to them to verify my identify and for invigilation (supervision)?

A. If you do not have these permissions enabled correctly, you could be unable to start your preparation exams or real exams. Please use the links below for permissions for Windows (camera and microphone), Mac (camera, microphone, and full disk) and Catalina OS (10.15) of Mac (screen recording access).

Note: The software works best with internal cameras and microphones. And, multiple audio and video devices cannot be used at the same time, so please remember:

• Your integrated camera will probably also have an integrated microphone, so ensure any external microphones are disconnected (no headphones/ear buds/headsets etc are allowed)
  • Your external camera may have a built-in microphone – if it does, you will need to disconnect any external audio microphones (no headphones/ear buds/headsets etc are allowed).

For Windows camera access: Please go to: https://examsoft.force.com/emcommunity/s/article/ExamID-and-ExamMonitor-Permission-Setup-for-Windows-users

For Mac camera and microphone access: Please go to: https://examsoft.force.com/emcommunity/s/article/ExamID-and-ExamMonitor-Permission-Setup-for-MAC-users

A. Yes. This answer includes written instructions on how to start and finish the two mandatory preparation exams:

•  The first mandatory preparation exam – the Computer Compatibility Preparation Exam – is to make sure your camera and microphone are set up in the correct way to sit your assessment/examination with remote invigilation (supervision) – via your camera, microphone and screen capture. This preparation exam will take less than 10 minutes and you can do it up to 99 times (including the first time) if you want to ensure everything is correct. Your real exams will start this way too.
    • The second mandatory preparation exam – the Content and Features Preparation Exam – is for you to practise using the features in the app Examplify that you will use to sit your assessments/exams, such as flagging questions to return to them and setting your own visual alarm. This exam does not relate to the course you are studying, and your responses will not be saved, marked, or assessed in any way. This exam is available until the end of the assessment/examination period and you can do this exam up to 99 times (including the first time) if you want.
    • NOTE: Some training materials call the Preparation Exams Mock Exams.

You will receive an email to your University of Otago student email address from
noreply@examsoft.com inviting you to login to ExamSoft. Check your junk mail if you have not received an email.
Note: If you cannot find the invite email from “noreply@examsoft.com”, please follow this link to download Examplify: https://ui.examsoft.io/login?institutioncode=otago.

Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to download Examplify and sit the preparation exams.

A. The University’s Privacy Officer, Deputy Privacy Officer and IT Assurance and Cybersecurity Office have worked with ExamSoft and completed evaluations to ensure privacy and data security provisions are appropriate. ExamSoft’s Privacy Policy can be accessed here.

Can Examplify access my personal files and information when I install it on my computer?

No – Examplify does not access your personal data stored on your computer, including your files, social media information and browser history.

Some system files do need to be accessed to allow Examplify to lock down access to other applications while you take an assessment/examination, but these are reverted to previous settings upon completion of the assessment/examination.

Some identifying information is also collected as part of assessment/examination administration and to ensure assessment/examination integrity. Such information typically includes: makes and models of computers used by exam takers, device identification numbers, types and versions of software used by exam takers, and security and software performance related information, such as keystroke data collected during examinations.

Can Examplify monitor me when I am not taking assessments/examinations?

No – Examplify does not access your computer camera, microphone, keystroke data or files, or otherwise interact with your computer to lockdown other applications, except during assessments/examinations. 

How do I know when I am being recorded?

A notification will continuously display on screen during the assessment/examination to advise when recording is taking place.

What will be recorded?

Your immediate environment through the camera on your computer will be recorded. You will not be required to record outside the immediate environment (i.e. the room) in which you are sitting the assessment/examination or to record anything which is not necessary to ensuring academic integrity.

Why is keystroke data collected?

This is used to record student responses, as a backup to allow recovery of completed responses in the event that a technical issue affects the assessment/examination session.

Can I fully delete Examplify off my computer once it is no longer needed?

Yes (you do not have to do this, it is only if you want to). When Examplify is uninstalled, it will remove all parts of the Examplify application, including the tools employed by the application to lock down your device during the examination. Instructions for deletion are here:

Uninstall on Windows

Uninstall on Mac

Will ExamSoft sell or share my data?

ExamSoft shares your data with the University of Otago and with an invigilation service (ProctorExam) under strict controls. ExamSoft may also potentially share your data in a number of other limited, legitimate and controlled circumstances as laid out in the ExamSoft Privacy Policy. ExamSoft will not sell your personal data to, or otherwise share your personal data with, any third party.

How does ExamSoft share data with invigilation services?

Examination invigilation is carried out by a third party (ProctorExam) who are provided with an encrypted copy of the recording of your examination. Files are tagged with a random ID which does not identify the student or institution. ProctorExam are contractually obliged to maintain confidentiality.

ProctorExam is not provided with any ExamID material used for checking that you are the person sitting your examination.

How does invigilation occur?

ProctorExam initally uses computer-based techniques to check for activities which may require further investigation. Any such activities are tagged and then a person checks these and provides a written report back to the University (via ExamSoft). Neither ProctorExam nor ExamSoft can make an assessment that a student has broken examination rules, and the University will not necessarily consider a report from ProctorExam requires an academic misconduct investigation.

Where the University determines that an academic misconduct investigation is warranted, the process in the Student Academic Misconduct Procedures will be followed, with the student involved given a chance to view any footage, report or other evidence which has led to an academic misconduct investigation, and to respond, before any determination is reached. Any academic misconduct finding by the University against a student may be appealed by the student concerned.

Does the University have internal processes for ensuring appropriate use of my data?

Yes – use of student data is governed by the University’s Policy on Access to, and use of, Personal Information. Staff involved with your course have access to your examination answers for the purposes of marking.  Academic integrity reports and associated materials (e.g. recordings) are further controlled. Your lecturers do not have access to this material for exams. Instead, where a concern is identified, this will be provided to Examinations staff in the first instance, and further referred to the appropriate Associate Dean (Academic) for investigation under the Student Academic Misconduct Procedures if required. This parallels the process for investigation of academic misconduct for paper-based examinations. Staff involved in handling this information will be provided specialised privacy training before the examination period, to ensure appropriate handling of data.

Is my data secure?

All files are encrypted, including the exam file you download and the completed exam you upload, including recordings used for invigilation purposes.  Additional security measures are used by ExamSoft to protect information they store, including decoupling of files from stored identifying information. The security of data has been assessed by the University’s IT Assurance and Cybersecurity Office against industry standards.

How long will my data be retained by ExamSoft?

At a maximum, your personal data will be retained by ExamSoft until the University ceases to be in contract with them (the current contract is for two years). At that time all data will be deleted on the University’s request. Some information may continue to be held in ExamSoft backup systems for a period after this but will be held for no longer than 13 months (the maximum time until backup data are overwritten). These provisions will also apply to any information held by ProctorExam or any other ExamSoft proctoring partner. 

Who can I contact if I have further privacy questions?

The University Registrar and Secretary to the Council is the University’s Privacy Officer (email registrar@otago.ac.nz).

A. According to the software supplier all files are encrypted to the proprietary 256 encryption rating, including the assessment/exam file you download and the completed assessment/exam you upload. The app locks down your laptop/desktop computer while you are doing the assessment/exam, which blocks:

• Your access to the Internet and anyone else’s access to your laptop/desktop computer via the Internet
  • Your access to all the files and apps on your laptop/desktop computer.

You will ONLY use the Internet to download your assessment/exam and upload your completed assessment/exam. You will sit your assessment/exam off-line – with remote invigilation (supervision) via your microphone and web camera; that recording will be uploaded when you upload your exam. Because you will not need continuous Wi-Fi during your assessment/exam, losing your Internet connection will not be a problem during your assessment/exam.

Q.13 How will my ExamSoft-Examplify assessment/exam be invigilated (supervised) and my identity verified?

A. We know you have worked hard to get where you are and want a level playing field, so several tools are in place to help ensure the integrity of your assessment/exam:

• ExamSoft’s app Examplify – which you use to do your assessment/exam – blocks your access to the Internet and your access to files and apps on your computer. It also blocks anyone else’s access to your laptop/desktop computer via the Internet.
  • ExamID – Takes your photo. The first one taken for your first mandatory preparation exam – the Computer Compatibility Preparation exam – will be used to verify your identity in your real assessment/exam. Please noteYou do need to be in good light (the light on your face should be brighter than the light behind you) and your face needs to be clearly visible – do not wear hats of any type and ensure head scarfs or hijabs leave your face clearly visible. If you wear a veil or burqa, you will need to show your face for the photoYou do not need to wear the same clothes, remove your glasses, or have the same hairstyle or facial hair for both photos because the two photos will be compared using facial identification analysis, which includes comparing features such as bone structure. Note that while the standard ExamSoft consent in relation to this also mentions iris and retina scans, and fingerprints and voiceprints, these are not used or required in Otago processes.
  • ExamMonitor – you grant this app access to the camera and microphone on your laptop/desktop computer so you can be recorded on video, microphone, and screen capture throughout your assessment/exam. If you deny access, you will be denied access to your assessment/exam. During the real assessment/exam, you will see the wording Monitoring at the top of your screen while you are being recorded. The camera must be pointed towards your face throughout every assessment/exam, and you need adequate lighting in the room (the light on your face should be brighter than the light behind you). If you wear burqa or anything else that covers your face for cultural reasons, it can remain on during the assessment/exam. If you want to check how you appear to the remote invigilator (supervisor), go to the top of your screen, click on the word Monitoring, and you will see the video feed. Clicking anywhere in Examplify will exit the video feed and return you to Examplify. All recording stops after you have completed your assessment/exam. Note: Just looking away from the screen will not be taken to be cheating.  What goes on in the assessment/exam will be monitored, in the same way that a physical assessment/examination is monitored.  ExamSoft will supply the University with reports on unusual behaviour, but there will be a very careful and controlled process to assess whether these need further investigation. We don’t want you to feel that you are more restricted than in a normal physical assessment/exam environment.  Those environments do, by necessity, have some restrictions, but as long as you act like you would in a normal exam, you do not need to worry that you are going to be unfairly accused of cheating.

Q.14 What happens if invigilation (supervision) detects a potential issue?

Breaches of examination rules will be dealt with under the Student Academic Misconduct Procedures – (https://www.otago.ac.nz/administration/policies/otago116850.html)

Any students dealt with under those procedures could face a range of penalties under Otago’s Academic Statute 2011 – (https://www.otago.ac.nz/administration/policies/otago029944.html)

Penalties may include a zero mark for the assessment, disqualification from the paper, cancellation of other passes achieved in the semester, or exclusion from the University.

Q.15 Where will I sit my digital exams and what does that space need?

When sitting your exam/s remotely, off campus, you should:

• Set up a desk in a well-lit room with no other people (including children) present and ensure no pets will be present. Arrange for them to be cared for before you start your exam. If you could have difficulty meeting this requirement, please contact AskOtago, which is available seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time:
  • Let your family and friends know when you are sitting your exam/s and that you need a quiet place for the length of the exam/s. To remind them, it might be helpful to have a sign on your door during an exam asking people to come back later.
  • If you want to ensure your internet connection is not interrupted or slowed while your completed exam is being uploaded – this will include the relatively large invigilation (supervision) file – let other people, for instance in your flat, know not to watch Netflix or download large files during your exam
  • Make sure your laptop/desktop computer can be charged from your desk (relying on battery power during your exam is not recommended).
  • For the photo taken for each of your assessments/final exams: Ensure there is enough light in the room (the light on your face should be brighter than the light behind you), and you are in a good position for a photo and to be recorded with your laptop/desktop computer’s camera and microphone. Your face needs to be clearly visible – do not wear hats of any type and ensure head your scarf or hijab leaves your face clearly visibleIf you wear a veil or burqa, you will need to show your face for the photo. You do not need to wear the same clothes, remove your glasses, or have the same hairstyle or facial hair for both photos because the two photos will be compared biometrically, which includes bone structure.
  • For invigilation (supervision) during your exam via your web camera and microphone on your laptop/desktop computer: The camera must be pointed towards your face throughout every exam, and you need adequate lighting in the room (the light on your face should be brighter than the light behind you). If you wear burqa or anything else that covers your face for cultural reasons, it can remain on during the assessment/exam. 
    • Note: Just looking away from the screen will not be taken to be cheating.  What goes on in the assessment/exam will be monitored, in the same way that a physical assessment/examination is monitored.  ExamSoft will supply the University with reports on unusual behaviour, but there will be a very careful and controlled process to assess whether these need further investigation. We don’t want you to feel that you are more restricted than in a normal physical assessment/exam environment.  Those environments do, by necessity, have some restrictions, but as long as you act like you would in a normal assessment/exam, you don’t need to worry that you are going to be unfairly accused of cheating.
  • If you want to check how you appear to the remote invigilator (supervisor), go to the top of your screen, click on the word Monitoring and you will see the video feed. Clicking anywhere in Examplify will exit the video feed and return you to Examplify. All recording stops after you have completed your assessment/exam.
  • Given you should face the web camera throughout the assessment/exam, if you are doing it off-campus and are worried your typical behaviour might be regarded as suspicious – e.g. staring out the window/staring at the ceiling/talking to yourself while thinking – you could prop a mirror behind you for the duration of the assessment/exam to make it obvious you are not looking at notes/anything on the walls/talking to someone that could help you answer questions. Alternatively, at the start of your assessment/exam, you could use your camera, or a hand mirror and your camera, to show the remote invigilator (supervisor) the room.
  • Unless your course coordinator has authorised you to use resources (such as your own calculator or rough-work-only paper. See note 2 below), your exam-sitting space should be free of papers, books, and sticky notes
  • Your walls should be clear of any documents or materials that may be relevant to the exam
  • Your desk should be clear of anything exam-related, other than your laptop/desktop computer – you are not allowed headphones/earbuds/headsets etc in the room.

Note 1: Exams and assessments with resources. Your Course Coordinator will provide the list of any authorised resources you are permitted for each paper’s assessment or exam. Any other materials and devices are NOT permitted.

Note 2: The artificial intelligence that checks recordings of you doing your exams will not regard using your resources as cheating, or just looking away from your screen.  What goes on in the assessment/exam will be monitored, in the same way that a physical assessment/exam is monitored. Those environments do, by necessity, have some restrictions, but as long as you act like you would in a normal assessment/exam, you do not need to worry that you are going to be unfairly accused of cheating.

A. Please see Q.23, Q.24 and Q.25.

Q.17 What if I cannot sit my exam at the scheduled time or have other unexpected problems?

A. Please see the Special Considerations section of the University of Otago website https://www.otago.ac.nz/study/exams/otago062916.html and our University’s COVID-19 web pages https://www.otago.ac.nz/coronavirus/information-for-students/#special-consideration

A. Alternative arrangements in assessments/final examinations are for students who have difficulty sitting them under conventional circumstances. You can apply for Alternative Arrangements:

• For assessments, by contacting Disability Information and Support:
    • For exams, using the normal channels in eVision: Once the examination timetable is available, applications for alternative arrangements should be made via your eVision portal in the Examinations and Results section – Log in to eVision

If you have not contacted Disability Information and Support since you started at our University but need its help, you can contact the service Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5pm:

Tel:      64 3 479 8235
Fax:     64 3 479 5873
Email:  disabilities@otago.ac.nz.

A. Our University’s Examinations Office will be in contact to make arrangements for you to sit your assessment/exam at an appropriate time. If you have any queries, please contact AskOtago. It is available seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time:

A.

The University’s official dates for the release of confirmed exam results in 2021 are available here https://www.otago.ac.nz/study/exams/otago029435.html#KeyDates. Departments will decide individually when to release the results of assessments.

A. All your assessment and exam results will be provided in the same way and at the same time as if you had sat paper-based assessments/exams. Exam results will be in your eVision portal, in the section called Examinations and Results, as usual.

Q.22 How will the Examplify app know my name and what assessments/exams I am sitting?

A. Blackboard is integrating with ExamSoft. We will ensure your information is in Blackboard and that it supplies ExamSoft with only the information it needs for you to sit your assessments/exams.

Q.23 What should I do to prepare for my assessment/exam as the date gets closer?

A. Here is a checklist of recommendations:

• If you have not already, download ExamSoft’s app Examplify, do that now. See Q.08.
  • If you have not already, do the two mandatory no-stakes Preparation Exams – the Computer Compatibility Preparation Exam (to ensure your technology will work with the app) and the Content and Features Preparation exam (to practise using the app). You can do these exams up to 99 times each (including the first time) if you want more practise and it will be available until the end of the Semester examination period. See Q.10.
  • Ensure your laptop/desktop computer’s camera will be pointed towards your face throughout the exam, remove any cover from the camera and ensure the room will have good lighting (the light on your face should be brighter than the light behind you).
  • Check the date and time on your computer are accurate so you get your password and start your exam at the correct time. All dates and times are New Zealand times so you must be aware of time zone differences if you are outside New Zealand. If you have not already notified the Examinations Office that you are overseas, please do this as soon as possible by emailing examination@otago.ac.nz
  • Watch for an email to your University student email address from noreply@examsoft.com saying your exam is ready to download.

Note: Download the exam as soon as possible to ensure you can get help if needed before the actual exam. You cannot reply to the noreply@examsoft.com email, so if you experience problems, please contact AskOtago. It is available seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time:

Q.24 How do I download a real assessment/exam with the app Examplify?

Here is a guide for you:

1. To ensure your internet connection is not interrupted or slowed, ask other people in your house not to watch Netflix or download large files while you are downloading your exam.
  2. Double-click the Examplify icon on your Windows Desktop or single-click the icon from the Applications folder or Dock on a Mac, then the Examplify home page should appear.
  3. Go to the left side of the home page, click on the exam you are doing, click the Download Exam button on your screen and watch it download.

Note: You will receive a password for your exam in an email to your University student email address from noreply@examsoft.com between 15 and 5 minutes before your exam is scheduled to start.

If you have any problems during this download, contact AskOtago. It is available seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time:

A. Here is a guide for you:

1. Setup
    • Ensure all cables – e.g. power cord, external mouse and/or keyboard – are securely connected to your laptop/desktop computer
    • Turn on your laptop/desktop computer
    • Check the power indicator light shows your laptop/desktop computer is receiving power
    • Pair Bluetooth keyboards before launching Examplify
    • Verify your laptop/desktop computer has the correct date and time set (e.g. is set to New Zealand time), by:
      • Windows, double-clicking the clock in the lower-right corner of the desktop
      • Mac, single clicking the clock in the upper-right corner of the desktop

Note: All dates and times are New Zealand times so you must be aware of time zone differences if you are outside New Zealand.

Remove from your room:

• Headphones/ear buds/headsets etc
        • Your watch, smartwatch, or any other watch-like device
        • Audio players
        • Any Wi-Fi capable devices (such as iPads and tablets etc).
        • If you have not already, see Q.14 for information we provided earlier about the type of space you need for sitting your exam/s. 

Note: For your exams, please show your phone to the camera and then put it out of reach (e.g. on a shelf, or the floor behind you). You can only use your phone if you need technical assistance during your test/exam – if you do, please state clearly to the camera on your laptop/desktop computer that you are calling AskOtago for technical help. This is similar to our approach for on-campus paper-based exams, where you are allowed to use your phone to scan the QR code on your desk, then put the phone under your desk. Remember to turn your cellphone to “airplane/do not disturb” mode or off to avoid distractions.

1. Getting ready to sit your assessment/exam
  • If you want to ensure your internet connection is not interrupted or slowed while you are uploading your completed assessment/exam, before you start the exam ask other people in your house not to watch Netflix or download large files during your exam. 
  • We encourage you to go to the toilet before the assessment/exam because any toilet break will be flagged, so the video of you in the period following your return will be carefully analysed. If you do need to use the bathroom, you should signal to your web camera before going by making a (capital) ‘T’ with your hands. (Note this is also the process we normally use when physical exams are held on-campus).
  • You are allowed clear water bottles in your assessment/exam
  • Have any snacks before you start your assessment/exam, not during your assessment/exam. If you have a medical condition that requires you to eat, please contact our University’s Disability Information & Support service. It is available Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5pm:
  • Watch out for an email to your University student email address from noreply@examsoft.com between 15 and 5 minutes before your assessment/exam – it will contain a password for your assessment/exam. Every assessment/exam will have a different password and you will need the password to start your assessment/exam. 
  1. Troubleshooting: 
  • Invalid password error: If you get an invalid password error, make sure you have clicked on the correct assessment/exam on the left side before typing in the assessment/exam password, then continue as you did for the Preparation Exam. Note: The password is case-sensitive so must be entered exactly as shown.
    • If you are still experiencing problems, contact AskOtago, seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time: Phone: 0800 80 80 98.
  • If your laptop/desktop computer freezes: If any of these three – Examplify, your keyboard and/or your mouse – stop responding, you can do the following:
    • Turn off your laptop/desktop computer – press and hold the power button
    • Turn your laptop/desktop computer back on
    • If your laptop/desktop computer restarts without problems, you will be given two options:
    • Continuing if you have not finished the assessment/exam
    • Exiting/submitting your assessment/exam if you have finished it
  • If you are still experiencing problems, contact AskOtago, seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time: Phone: 0800 80 80 98 for callers in New Zealand and 1800 46 82 46 for callers in Australia.
    • If your laptop/desktop computer does not restart within seven minutes, the app will ask you for a resume code and you need to contact AskOtago immediately to get that code. AskOtago is available seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time: Phone: 0800 80 80 98 for callers in New Zealand and 1800 46 82 46 for callers in Australia.
    • If your laptop/desktop computer crashes, turn it back on and follow one of the steps immediately above.

Note: Examplify backs-up and saves your assessment/exam to the hard drive every 60 seconds, so the assessment/exam will resume within 59 seconds of where you stopped reading or typing.

4. Uploading your completed assessment/exam

• When you submit your assessment/exam, your connection to the Internet will be automatically restored, and the completed assessment/exam and the invigilation (supervision) file will automatically upload to a secure server. You cannot reopen the assessment/exam. Do not disconnect from the Internet until both your assessment/exam file and the invigilation (supervision) file have uploaded – this could take about six to 15 minutes under normal circumstances. If your Internet speed is particularly slow, it could take up to three hours. If your Internet connection is lost, once it is re-established, the assessment/exam will continue uploading from the point the upload was interrupted.
  • If the time set for the assessment/exam runs out before you have finished, the software automatically starts uploading your assessment/exam, but when you finish in your own time, either:
    • Click the Finish button that appears on the right of your screen at the final question, or go to the top tight corner of your screen to Exam Controls and click Submit Exam
    • Then a screen will offer two options:
      • Submit Exam by clicking a box to confirm that you have completed your assessment/exam, then click Submit Exam
      • Return to Exam by clicking Go Back.
    • You will see a screen advising you to Please Wait and three check boxes that will automatically be ticked in green when:
      • Your answer file is prepared
      • Your answer file is uploaded
      • Your monitoring file is prepared (this is the remote invigilation/supervision recording).
    • You can click Return to Dashboard (home page) and see which files are uploading – the ones that have uploaded will have a green tick beside them. When the files are all uploaded a completed box will appear on the left of your screen, below it will be the names of the uploaded files and the green ticks.
    • You will also receive two confirmation emails from noreply@examsoft.com letting you know your files have been successfully uploaded.
      • The first confirmation email will be sent once your answer file has successfully uploaded
      • The second confirmation email will be sent once your ExamMonitor invigilation (supervision) video file has successfully uploaded.
    • If you receive an error or alert message on your screen or are unable to successfully upload your completed assessment/exam, do not panic, and just try again. A copy of your encrypted completed assessment/exam will have been saved. If problems persist and the assessment/exam is not uploaded, notify AskOtago immediately. It is available seven days a week between 7am and 11pm New Zealand time: Freephone: 0800 80 80 98 in New Zealand and 1800 46 82 46 in Australia.

More things you need to know

• Once you get to the first question on your assessment/exam, the timer for your assessment/exam starts and you can only work on the assessment/exam – Examplify blocks access to the Internet and blocks access to all your apps and files on your laptop/desktop computer.
  • You will only be able to download assessments/exams for classes you are officially enrolled in.
  • The completed assessment/exam and monitoring file is automatically deleted from your laptop/desktop computer when it is uploaded at the end of your assessment/exam.

Q.26 How do I uninstall Examplify after my assessment/exams if I want to? (You do not have to. This is only if you want to).

A: Please visit:

(https://examsoft.force.com/etcommunity/s/article/Examplify-Uninstall-on-Windows)

(https://examsoft.force.com/etcommunity/s/article/Examplify-How-to-Uninstall-on-a-Mac)