Zipcar, Inc., the world’s leading car-sharing network, released its second annual independent study of Millennials (18-34-year olds), which examines this generation’s attitudes toward personal transportation and car ownership. Millennials are an important segment for Zipcar, comprising more than half of all members. Millennials account for about 23 percent of the general population, according to the 2010 US Census.
- 55 percent have actively made an effort to drive less, compared to 45 percent in the same 2010 study
- 78 percent say owning a car is difficult due to high costs of gas and maintenance
- 53 percent would participate in a car-sharing service, like Zipcar – mobility and convenience is still important
- Millennials are the most likely age group to participate in the “sharing economy” (67 percent would participate in media sharing and 49 percent in home/vacation sharing)
- 40 percent say they would participate to save more money for retirement or buying a home